Wednesday, October 29, 2008

IT IS WHAT IT IS...

















As an adoptive parent, part of my worldview is advertising. Every trip, every event includes an awareness that, one day, I may need to put together a new "family profile" album to give to birth mothers so they can see what our life is like and decide if we would be the right fit for her child. It is a reality that this is how domestic adoptions are facilitated these days... right or wrong- it's the reality.
Sooooo as we headed out to the pumpkin patch I was all geared up for getting some great family pumpkin picking pictures... for the "one day" just in case... profile album. Lo and behold, John Paul was NOT INTERESTED IN PUMPKINS. What?... and ruin my photo op plans... never! I got a little worked up, not bad, but a little agitated that things were not working out as I had planned. John Paul only had eyes for sprinklers on this fall morning, he was fascinated with them. He jumped right out of the wagon and made a hasty, single minded journey to the first sprinkler head. I had to think quick on my feet... the pictures had to look like we were having fun after all. I saw a 2nd sprinkler across the field and recruited Ryan to dispatch the coordinates of said 2nd sprinkler to John Paul. I had to act quick, I started shooting what appeared to be pumpkin picking pictures, but really were just encounters with minor obstacles to John Paul's main objective... getting to the 2nd sprinkler. He was a man on a mission, and was not to be deterred for long.
When he got to his destination, Ryan lovingly put his arm around my shoulder and said what I should have known all along... "He's having fun Joce... isn't that what we came here for?". Of course it was, and John Paul certainly was having fun... not at picking out a pumpkin, but with what he enjoyed... his sprinklers. I was stunned, not that he was enjoying himself... but that getting a "perfect" picture had blinded me to enjoying what was right in front of me, my precious son.
This lesson is working on me, unraveling the lies that bind me up, and keep me unable to enjoy today. The "what ifs", the doubts and fears, the unknown, and the waiting. The reality is that I have a life to live today... while I wait, and this life is what it is, even if I would have it be something else. If I am going to be a mother to these twins, I want them here now... not there being neglected and unsheltered... unprotected. The reality is that I cannot make it so, I cannot make the will of God move any faster than it is. My choice is not how it will be done, but how deeply I experience the blessings as I wait.
Please pray that we not become blinded by the unknown, but that His love would cast out all fear and that we may enjoy all the pumpkin-turned-sprinkler adventures that come our way as we wait for His perfect timing, His perfect will, and His perfect providence.
On November 7th, we will be attending the "Light of Africa" dinner where we will be getting more concrete information regarding this adoption process with and for the twins. At the dinner we will hear from and meet the attorney who will be facilitating these adoptions. We are anxious to see pictures of the girls and to get the information we desperately want to know... when they will be here... in our home, in our family, and in our arms!
But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like one day. The Lord does not delay his promise, as some regard"delay," but he is patient with you, not wishing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
~2Peter 3:8-9
He is such a wonderful Father and we are so blessed to be in His waiting room.




3 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

Oh, the sweetness of the Spirit's working in our hearts and minds. I must remember to give each moment for the Lord's use--my agenda, plans and hopes aside.

Nanny said...

You are an amazing woman, wife, and mother. The wisdom you have just brings me to tears. I am always learning how to be a better person from you example. It's also nice to think you can teach this old dog some new tricks... :o}

It's a long walk to paradise and we might as well learn to find joy in each step of the way. God doesn't promise us all rose gardens but I believe if we really look, we can see His beauty in every garden we walk in. The thorny cactus blooms with beautiful flowers. Life is so like the cactus, to often we are so over come with the thorns our eyes never see the prize.

God's Joyful Blessings my dear sweet daughter-in-law Love Linda

Nanny said...

You are an amazing woman, wife, and mother. The wisdom you have just brings me to tears. I am always learning how to be a better person from you example. It's also nice to think you can teach this old dog some new tricks... :o}

It's a long walk to paradise and we might as well learn to find joy in each step of the way. God doesn't promise us all rose gardens but I believe if we really look, we can see His beauty in every garden we walk in. The thorny cactus blooms with beautiful flowers. Life is so like the cactus, to often we are so over come with the thorns our eyes never see the prize.

God's Joyful Blessings my dear sweet daughter-in-law Love Linda